Tuesday, February 12, 2013

You're lucky if you went to the grocery on time...

It's been written about in excess this past week.  The recent blizzard, Nemo, attacked the North East with over 4-5 inches of snow per hour at some points in the night.

I woke up Friday morning at my friend Georgia's home (desperately hoping my French exam would be cancelled) to three inches of snow falling already.  There were definitely no looks of it letting up.  After slugging down a few cups of coffee, I read over my notes and drove to class, which I can say was a complete success in my '98 Subaru Legacy Outback.

My 9.30 AM test ended at 10.20.  I left my classroom and napped for a while.  When I woke up at least a foot of snow was on the ground.  We were stuck!

The two houses of girls next door to us decided to come over and brace together for the Snow-pocalypse.

In total, six states declared a state of emergency, with over 5,000 flights cancelled due to the major airports in New York and Boston.  Never mind the flights, people couldn't even get out to the grocery.  It's known that these stores have the longest hours, especially the commercial - but evermore local - Stop & Shop in town.  I went on Thursday afternoon right after my class got out.  Was I thinking about prime grocery shopping time?  Of course I don't think of those things.  The place was packed.  Moms, dragging their kids around, Grandmas dragging their husbands around, and a few leftover college students getting their last fresh veggies before the lock in.

The Fairfield Stop & Shop was open until the night of the storm and unable to open on Saturday.  Hopefully no one was stuck.  I can only imagine how packed it was when the lot finally got plowed.

Some pictures taken of the snow.   The pictures were taken on the Sunday after Nemo hit.  Fairfield County and New Haven area got pounded with around 35-40 inches of snow.

Friday Morning: The biggest waves the LIS has ever seen.

Cars in a bit of snow

Ms. Smalley's car: Covered not only by snowfall

Fairfield University townhouses under snow

Again, Ms. Smalley's car
Photography by Gabriel Sacco


Should we be prepared for more snow?

Yes, of course we should it's February.  As a matter of fact it's supposed to snow again on Saturday.  The clouds should hit not so much on the coast, but rather on land.  Out in Oklahoma, the predications are the same as Fairfield county - a mere one to three inches.  Hopefully it melts right as it touches down.  West Virginia is predicted to have the most accumulation - as much as three to six inches.

Although most of local tots are looking to get a fresh covering over the newly soiled snow, I can guarantee the majority of their parents are annoyed due to the fact that this is our third socially-debilitating storm of the season.


No comments:

Post a Comment