Saturday, March 30, 2013

=

"Every time I look at you I don't understand
why you let the things you did get so out of hand"

Although the high priests in Jesus Christ Superstar claim, "this Jesus must die," I'm on J.Christ's side.  I'm watching it this Saturday night, before Easter day.  The classic caught my eye as my parents scampered off to bed to await their big furry friend. (Who's apparently now their son, me.)

I've mentioned the movie to a bunch of fellow students and surprisingly, it's NOT that popular among our generation.  Of course I realize that it was filmed in the 70s, but due to our age's spirit of social revolution, I thought we might take more inspiration from this time piece.

Although religious, the director (Norman Jewison, hilariously enough) created a classic musical style film with props and a cast that was evident of the era.  The number, "The Temple," just passed.  So controversial for the time, the scene shows the house of God riddled with prostitutes, ammunition, and goods unfit for a chapel.  Jesus shows his true colors and raids the place, turning over tables and cursing the public for disrespecting his/Gods property.  A scene definitely reminiscent of recorded social protests of the 60s.

Over the course of the film there are incredible costume designs.  What the frames lack in vibrant color, the outfits make up for in their typical hippie cuts: tight around the waist, loose around the arms and legs.  The contemporary style continues over to Judas' betrayal when tanks and fighter jets fill the desert and air.

It's clear the films purpose wasn't completely aimed to portray Jesus Christ's death, but also somehow the war that just burdened us pre-production; Vietnam was the first unjustified war in the history of America.

After seventeen sentences of incredibly jumbled text (I counted), I'm sure you're asking, "what the eff does he mean?"  (I'm thinking on Jesus' revolution and transition to Catholicism, and America's anti-war protests...)

My point is, if WE want a social revolution, we need to fight like Jesus and his disciples did (and do).  Let's fight our unjustified war.


(My favorite number)



Don't be a fool like King Herod.

Believe.  Believe in Jesus.  Believe in Santa. Believe in the Easter Bunny.
Believe in SOMEONE.

HAPPY EASTER!
#marriageequality

No comments:

Post a Comment